THE DA VINCI CODE: FACT OR FICTION?
What is The Da Vinci Code?
The Da Vinci Code is a novel. Its publisher, Doubleday, released it with much dan dare in March 2003 and heavily promoted it. As a result, it debuted at #1 on the New York Times bestseller list and has remained on it since, selling millions of copies. The publisher claims that it is “the bestselling adult novel of all time within a one-year period.”
So popular has The Da Vinci Code become that it has created a marketing room for books related to the novel, and it has become the subject of a major motion picture scheduled to be released on May 18, 2006.
What is The Da Vinci Code About?
It is a thriller story involving secret societies, conspiracies, the Catholic Church and the fictional “truth” about Jesus Christ. Here is the author’s own summary:
A renowned Harvard symbologist is summoned to the Louvre Museum to examine a series of cryptic symbols relating to Da Vinci’s artwork. In decrypting the code, he uncovers the key to one of the greatest mysteries of all time, and he becomes a hunted man. During the course of the novel it is alleged that the Catholic Church is perpetuating a major, centuries-long conspiracy to hide the “truth” about Jesus Christ from the public, and itor its agents are willing to stop at nothing, including murder, to do so.
Why should a Christian be concerned about the novel?
Although a work of fiction, the book claims to be meticulously researched, and it goes to great lengths to convey the impression that it is based on fact. It even has a “fact” page at the front of the book underscoring the claim of factuality for particular ideas within the book. As a result, many readers – christians are taking the book’s ideas seriously.
The problem is that many of the ideas that the book promotes are anything but fact, and they go directly to the heart of the Christian faith.
For example, the book promotes these false ideas:
- Jesus is not God; he was only a man.
- Jesus was married to Mary Magdalene.
- She is to be worhipped as a goddess.
- Jesus got her pregnant, and the two has a daughter.
- The daughter gave rise to a prominent family line that is still present in Europe today.
- The Bible was put together by a pagan Roman emperor.
- Jesus was viewed as a man and not as God until the fourth century, when he was deified by the emperor Constantine.
- The Gospels have been edited to support the claims of later Christians.
- In the original Gospels, Mary Magdalene rather than Peter was directed to establish the Church.
- There is a secret society known as the Priory of Zion that still worships Mary Magdalene as a goddess and is trying to keep the truth alive.
Christians should be concerned about the book because it not only misrepresents the church as a murderous institution but also implies that the Christian faith itself is utterly false. If the book’s claims were true, then all forms of Christianity would be false…thus Christians should be concerned about the book!!!
No comments yet.